Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bus Ride

_____________________________________________

It's a frosty friday night. There's a high school student sitting in front of me on the bus. Still adorned in his dark blue school blazer, he sits alone on the first elevated area of the bus.

At first, he sits down silently, shifiting and figiting until he finds the most comfortable spot. Then he becomes motionless.

Eight minutues and four passengers later, he aruptly rips and ipod out of his inner blazer pocket, alongwith an entanglement of wires. I noticed that he doesn't use the tangle prevention slidy-thing, and his headset's plastic has yellowed with age. Methodically he untangles it all, plugs the jack into it's appropriate spot, and plunges into a world of music. Once again he becomes motionless.

I turned to look out into the night, only my reflection stared back at me in disbelief. I noticed movement in the corner of my eye. Yes, the stduent infront of me was twitching. It wasn't anything disconcerning, but it certinatly wasn't rythmic. It was isolated too. Only his head would nod, a little off to his right. I presumed it was his music, but I heard no muffled beats nor tones from his headphones.

And so it went on. The bus thundered in the darkness, and this boy's head nodded in erractially infrequent intervals. Then suddenly he raises his hand and drops it to his left. His movements were fluid like water, elegant and impressive. He had tired to reach the stop request button; but there was nothing there. His hand lingered pointlessly. He turned his head in suprise, then looked up and realised the button has been relcated above. He pushed it, a bell rang, the bus stopped, he got off.

What a massive tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment