Wednesday, June 10, 2009

-An Extraordinary Journey.


_____________________________________________
...is such a zucchini of a brief. THis is what we had to do:
To design an exeriential journey from selected spaces within the Caulfield Campus, Monash University.
Now, it would all sound perfectly normal to you. But e
ssentially they're getting us to create three "emotional intereptations of spaces". (I think it's bullshit, pointless and a bit silly). Although I suppose the main purpose is to get all the design student to think outside of the box, so I guess it works.

As usual, at the beginning of this project, our design tutor fluttered around helping people grap ideas for this supposedly difficult brief. When she came to me, I present my idea. She replied. "I don't even know why I bother trying to give you more ideas. I think you've set the bar of how far you can push the brief everytime."
So here's my concept. The three "spaces" that I took was the university library, the multiple flights of stairs, and the campus cafe 'Mama Dukes'.



The Library, the labyrinth, the maze.


The wacky and tacky Mama Dukes'; which is going to have a cover surrounding it
(The library is hidden in the funny white shroud at the back)


And this is what it ended up looking like. Not exactly beautiful in my book.
But at this time of the year, I really could not be bothered.

The structures that i have made are supposed to represent three required elements of "dynamism, pattern and stablility". It was explained to us the 'dynamism' was the oppoiste of stablility, that at first glace it would look as though the buildig was moving, or unstable or falling apart.

Let me explain this concept. Having reflected that a lot of my design pieces seem to lack a bit of depth, for my reasoning was purely based on aesthetic and humour rather than deapth of thought...I decided to try something different. So I wrote something, a little story behind it all:

The journey begines at the library. The yellow figures are zombie representations of university students, in particular the Art and Design students. They all seek individuality, but the great irony is that they are all push through the same system, the winning formulae to achieve this greater education. It's a commentary on University life, we study the past to become something greater. We are all essentially graded against each other, so that the factory can dish away the rejects and the unsuitable. My extraordinary journey begins at the library, the fountain of knowledge, and leads towards the university cafe, which is cramped, and has a very homely feel to it. There, they are able to re-create, and be themselves and forget about the heinous grading system.

Surely this makes sense no?



1 comment:

  1. Asked to think outside the box, Eric makes a maze out of a box.

    ReplyDelete