Sunday, June 6, 2010

Missing Tail

4th June @ 11:10
The day was cold, windy and cloudy. A perfect winter's day. We spotted this bird on the road, next to a girl who was making a distressed call. Was it a parrot? It was. Green bodied, blue headed and red beaked. It was scared, paranoid and missing a tail. Gentle I picked it up, hushing it, telling that it's "okay". I took it from the gutter and placed it at the nearby tree. Hopefully it'll recover.

What I didn't mention was that it's neck also showed signs of damage, and it looked dazed and traumatized.
I tried to pick it up a second time, deciding that it would probably be safer in in some bushes where it could hide from stray cats, but it squawked at me ferociously and flew across the road.
It's flight was beating it's wings extremely hard, you could hear the tips hitting the asphalt as it went. It didn't even make it over the gutter; though it tried desperately to climb up with it's beak hooked on the ledge.
I went over again in attempt to pick him up, but he again squawked loudly and flew in the other direction, although this time, he made it to a base of a tree.

I was glad that it had enough energy to fly that distance and gain a little more height than before. But from the distance I could see that it was pretty exhausted from that flight.

I feared for it's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment