Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fencing

Tom Foster, reigning Novice Champion.
___________________________________________
The venue was the "Fencing Factory", some old refurnished warehouse in the industrial area of Brunswick. Everyone rocked up promptly at 11am for the beginning and registration of the players. The competition ran as follows:
  1. People split into random pools/groups and had a bout(match) to 5. Total Score is collected and comparied with how well everyone else; thus aligning you with a rank.
  2. Elimiation Rounds ordered in a way to polar the differences in rankings, thus leading to finals and bouts for bronze, silver and gold.
For me, I fenced 3 bouts and won 1. Although I managed to get 4 points of Matt Foster. I was given a rank of 8/13.
In the eliminations; I took 4 minutes to finish off Sam Esler (rank 9/13) with a score of 15-3. Then I was put up against Renier Ackermann. *sad face*

Me (4) vs Renier Ackermann (15)

My Last bout. It was insane. Achermann would twirl his foil in an attempt to bind my blade and rush forward, closing distance, forcing large angles to score points. I was disarmed about four times in the 6 minutes. My attack was often inaccurate and my defence was unconfident. I couldn't really do anything but run away; and look for tiny openings.
Afterwards, I asked Renier,
"How Long have you been fencing for?"
"About 9 months?" he casually replied.
Kenneth Leong vs Renier Ackermann
Brother classified them as "in fighters". People who get close with their pistol grips and stab happily.

Kenneth Leong vs Renier Ackermann.

Kenneth Leong seems to enjoy jumping a lot. The bout was very close. Renier ended up winning 15-14.

Everyone is laughing because he's short. Left to Right: Renier Ackermann , Matt Foster, Kenneth Leong.

Winners are grinners!
I didn't know why I take part in the 4 other novice competitions earlier this year. The game seems to give me a much larger adrealine rush than any sport that i've played before.
___________________________________________
Kenneth Leong is from Melbourne Uni Fencing Club. I didn't know you guys had a fencing club.

2 comments:

  1. Of course we do... It's a fairly popular pastime...
    But it does look like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I might be short by at least I won :)

    ReplyDelete