Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pride Sculpture


Assignment 2: "Sculpture by the C...block"
This brief we were presented with the list of the Seven Deadly Sins. In groups of 4, we were to pick one of them, and construct a sculpture emphasising form and dynamism out of Card. The group of people I was with decided to choose the word "pride".

It was difficult assigning an emotion to an animate object. It was a lot harder than I expected. But I soon realised that these verbs that we tie to inanimate objects has it's roots in the common human perception of the body language in others. With a solid starting point, I rushed to finish this week long intensive assignment.

I immediately jumped on the theme of Hubris, and took on the old German tale of "Doctor Faustus".

I had aimed to creature a proud looking figure (depicted by a general tapered shape) but I wanted to show the side of regret and remorse that comes after an act of hubris. So the expressions of the figure tend to be sad, the lines slow and fragile looking. His head is completely hollow, with a demon (Mephistopheles) occupying his consciousness. In his long fragil arm coming out from a hunched posture, he welds an axe, a symbol of the brutality that excessive pride can evoke. /bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment