Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Egg Drop




IDE1112. My first Industrial Design Studio.
Assignment 1: Construct a suitable housing of an Egg that is going to be dropped at >2m. The egg most remain intact through out all the different trials.

My three main concepts:






I eventually settled on the Icosahedron concept because it was one of the ones easier to make, and due to poor time management, it was the quickest thing I could come up with.

Essentially, this was the gist of it. I had a big starry object with multiple pyramid shapes to help it withstand the impact force at 2m and a little bit over. A cradle was constructed inside the outer housing in order to help distribute the force evenly around the egg, and to provide cushioning. Shredded foam core was used to imitate Packaging foam to help absorb in impact.

The complete structure, with the table cleared.

My design passed the 2m test, but failed all subsequent trials. What were the trials exactly? Trial 1: 2m
Trial 2: ~7m
Trial 3: 4 Stories
Trial 4: Thrown at a wall
Trial 5: Thrown at the ground.
Of all the housings made, two survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment